Sunday, September 8, 2013
The European Convention on Human Rights, which was signed in Rome on 4 November 1950, entered into force on 3 September 1953. Under Article 66 of the Convention, the Convention’s entry into force was triggered by the deposit in Strasbourg of the tenth instrument of ratification, which was deposited by the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg.
President Dean Spielmann expressed satisfaction at the anniversary, saying: “Those who deposited the instrument of ratification believed that the Convention would form the bedrock of democratic Europe, an enterprise for peace and freedom. They considered it a great honour for Luxembourg to make possible the entry into force of what they described as ‘the finest European undertaking to date’. Sixty years on, we strive every day to continue on the course they charted for us.”
Since 1953, over 500,000 applications have been dealt with by the machinery set up under the European Convention on Human Rights and the Court has delivered approximately 16,500 judgments.